Now Think On This & Ahava Love Letters

Sunday, October 27, 2013

"Disappointment - His Appointment" - Ahava Love Letter (Steve Martin)

“Disappointment – His Appointment”

 “…fixing our eyes on Jesus, 
the author and perfecter of faith…” 
(Heb. 12:2 (NAS)

Dear family of friends,

Phil Keaggy is a very gifted nine-finger guitarist, who many have said is better than another “famous” one, Jimi Hendrix. I never listened to Jimi (thank God!), but I loved Phil. I still have several of his albums (the real 33 1/3 black vinyl ones) and then several of his CDs. Great music; and his voice is very unique.

Phil is a cool guy. In one interview with Harmony Magazine in 1976 he spoke of being one of ten children, with his mother being a very devout Catholic. (We have only eight kids in our family, and were pretty good Catholics.) He also spoke of how he lost his one finger.

“I was born in 1951. In 1955 I lost a finger on my right hand, my middle finger. We lived on a farm in Hubbard, Ohio, which had a big water pump, and I was climbing up on it. As I was kneeling on top of the platform, it broke and the faucets came crashing down on my finger and cut it off. 

I can remember it very vividly--as if it happened yesterday, and I can see my dad running down the hill, rescuing me, and taking me to the hospital. I can recall having a white cast and bandage; it was gigantic!

They tried to sew it on, but it didn't take, so I grew up with nine fingers. As a young kid, I was embarrassed about it a lot, especially when I was beginning to get into guitar. I used to be red when I'd play in front of people because I believed they were looking at my hand, which they probably weren't.” 

Phil was living at the Love Inn in Upper New York State, with Scott Ross (700 Club) and Ted Sandquist (who wrote the song “All Praise To The Rock,” which our band Ahava Love sings) when Laurie and I were also in a common purse community in LaSalle/Peru, IL in the late ’70’s. He came to Victory Community with his band in 1978, and held a concert at LP High School. What a concert that was! (They then stayed in our homes.)

I had the joy of taking Phil to the Charlotte, NC airport after he sang at Derek Prince’s Memorial Service on Saturday, Nov. 1, 2003. What a day that was. (He has an album called “What A Day” (1973), so I thought I’d use that pun here. Hope you caught it.) He actually sang two songs during the two hours of honoring Derek. One was “What A Day” that I have on the recorded video tape of the service.

Keaggy wrote and sang another great song on one of his 63 albums, entitled “Love Broke Through.” That specific song is called “Disappointment.” (Released: October 1976 New Song)  

When we sometimes think of disappointments in our lives, and dwell on the thought, “What was up with that, Lord?” Phil’s lyrics can surely help us in our considerations and wonderings. In fact, I still appreciate them so much, that I thought they are worth sharing here with you now. Read on…and allow the Lord to speak to you.

Disappointment - His appointment,
Change one letter, then I see
That the thwarting of my purpose
Is God's better choice for me.

His appointment must be blessing
Though it may come in disguise
For the end from the beginning,
Open to His wisdom lies.

Disappointment - His appointment
Whose? The Lord's who loves best.
Understands and knows me fully,
Who my faith and love would test.

For like loving, earthy parent
He rejoices when He knows
That His child accepts unquestioned
All that from His wisdom flows.

Disappointment - His appointment
No good thing will He withhold
From denials oft we gather
Treasures from His love untold.

Well, He knows each broken purpose
Leads to fuller deeper trust
And the end of all His dealings
Proves our God is wise and just.

Disappointment - His appointment
Lord I take it then as such,
Like the clay in hands of potter
Yielding wholly to Thy touch.

All my life's plan is Thy molding
Not one single choice be mine
Let me answer unrepining,
Father not my will but Thine.

(Phil Keaggy)



These lines stood out to me. “His appointment must be blessing, though it may come in disguise, for the end from the beginning, open to His wisdom lies. Disappointment - His appointment. Whose? The Lord's who loves best. Understands and knows me fully, Who my faith and love would test.”

If you recently had a disappointment, or even one from years ago that still haunts you, such as, “They should have done this”, or “You could have done that, but…,” consider again the answer to the “Whys” and the “Why Nots?” that we often ask ourselves and others. Start to trust again. As you seek Him, you will find that the answer will always be found in Yeshua (Jesus).

Let’s give our disappointments up to the Lord. We don’t need to keep fretting over what has been done. Move on. Get your eyes and faith fixed once again on Him, the Author and Finisher of your faith and mine.

He loves you. You can always be sure of that. Rest in His peace, His leading, His provision.

Ahava to you my family of friends,

Steve Martin
Founder
Love For His People, Inc.


©2011 Steve  Martin      Love For His People, Inc.  P.O. Box 414 Pineville, NC 28134      


Facebook pages: Steve Martin  and  Love For His People       

Twitter: martinlighthous  and  LovingHisPeople  

Blogger: http://loveforhispeople.blogspot.com        

YouTube: loveforhispeopleinc

Love For His People, Inc. is a charitable, not-for-profit USA organization. Fed. ID#27-1633858.  Tax deductible contributions sent by mail or given on-line will receive an e-receipt for each donation, for you to print out. (Saves the ministry on postage!)y  


Ahava Love letter #16   Date: Feb. 22, in the year of our Lord 2011     

No comments:

Post a Comment